Tuesday 23 March 2010

A Pupil Broke My Heart Today...

I have a real thing for the underdog children.

I realise how wrong that sounds - but hold off calling the police because it's really quite innocent. But, I have a couple of rough classes at the moment and seem to - unintentionally - get on best with the kids in my classes who everyone else seems to despise. I root for them. I talk to them in the corridor. I defend them when the staffroom turns on them like wolves and a chipmunk - and I always get eaten alive, because funnily enough experienced teachers don't always like to hear that the trainee doesn't agree with their bitter description of their nemesis.


This week, though, the boys I have been defending have let me down. Big time. More than that - (brace yourself for that immortal line) - they have really, REALLY let themselves down.

In fact, they could only be described as purebred idiots. Imbeciles. Fools. Twits. Tw*ts, even. Absolute flaming F'wits.

I'm only going to tell you about one today because I only have the time/mental stamina for one!

There is a current epidemic throughout the school for fighting. It only started recently, but has escalated with terrifying speed. The fights get more dangerous and more frequent every day. Only year 7 are not infected - but it's probably only a matter of time.

So, during tutor time today I overhear a conversation which makes me - literally - want to scream. And weep. And shake the child involved until his brains fall out because he clearly isn't using them.

Said boy - N - is in my year 11 class. They're predicted E grades - some Ds. N, however, is desperate for a C and together we're going to make sure he gets it. He is a lovely guy, works SO SO SO hard and is always friendly - very popular with his classmates.

He threatened someone with a weapon today, and then beat them unconscious. In front of a small number of teachers - most of whom were too afraid to physically intervene because of the extreme violence and the fact that there were weapons involved.

Hearing about fights at school is always sad.
But to hear that it was one of my favourite pupils...

I was just gutted.

What is going on in school at the moment? There seems to be no reason, other than bored and the rain (I've learnt that teachers blame a lot of things on the weather).

Bring on the Easter hols!

3 comments:

  1. That's so sad. I remember even the girls bashing each other against the lockers in 9th grade. It seems like no big deal/just part of life at the time, but I have a friend who has had seizures ever since he got in a fight with his best friend in high school. His "best friend" kicked him in the head, hard.
    What is the punishment for fighting, esp. with a weapon, at your school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad that violence is becoming increasingly common in schools. I mean, these are KIDS we're talking about! Maybe that's why.. Teenagers seem to have to "prove" themselves somehow.. :P

    Unfortunately most teachers seem to lose their trust/faith/enthusiasm as years go by, when they think that they have no effect on people. Just keep on giving them positive feedback and you'll move mountains.. :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

    I know - it is really sad.

    As far as punishments go, I must admit I don't really know what happened to N. He has been in my lessons all week as normal - I assume school decided that excluding him so close to his GCSEs would be too detrimental.
    Gosh Lamb; girls can be more brutal than boys! They may not cause as much harm with their punches etc (usually) but they are (generally) much more vengeful. That's horrendous about your friend; I'm so sorry. It only takes one small incident to change things forever doesn't it - we try to explain "consequences" to our kids but they live purely for the moment.

    They are kids, but on the other hand they are far more... experienced than you would expect. I almost wrote mature then, but changed my mind. They may go out drinking and fighting and have multiple partners, blah blah blah; but they still get ridiculously excited about playing Pictionary, being allowed to sit on the grass to read poetry during class and getting a compliment during class. They still have some elements of childishness which keeps them lovable, whatever they do during their weekends!

    I can see why teachers might lose faith, but at the start of my training I am naive enough to think that "that will never happen to me!" I'm aware that every throwaway comment I make could make a big difference to a teenager and kids do remember what you've said, so I try to be careful and project positive ideas/support as much as possible - even when I have to tell them off. x

    ReplyDelete