Saturday 2 January 2010

Electronic Hide-and-Seek.

Except in the real game, the person who hides is not also the person who then has to search. My laptop was clearly twirling its hair idly round its finger and gazing out of the window when the rules were explained.






My lovely shiny new laptop which my boyfriend gave me for Christmas has taken all my blog entries (written hastily in Word, as I didn't have internet) and hidden them. Now, admittedly, I asked it to. I didn't want A coming across them, as I knew he'd use this computer at some point. So, I clicked the 'hide folder' option. Lovely shiny new computer obeyed. But, I - somewhat naively, apparently - expected it to give the posts BACK when I asked for them. But no. It's squirrelled them away somewhere, and no amount of hazelnuts will convince it to return them. Perhaps it's decided that they're such dreadful drivel they should never see the light of blogspot. I don't blame it, but nor do I really care about its opinion. I want my posts back - and, more importantly, the notes for my novel; they were in the same folder.

Why is nothing ever simple with Windows? Why would providing a 'show hidden folders' option cause the world to collapse? Oh, it wouldn't? Then why, exactly, isn't there one?
I suppose my various ramblings about lunch with the in-laws, tattoos, being 'the other woman', fluffy slippers and chocolate will have to remain interior monologues until I manage to outsmart Windows. You can breathe a sigh of relief - for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment