Tuesday 15 December 2009

Dear Tom

Tom,

I miss you.

I wish Facebook would stop telling me to “share the latest news” and send you a message. Seems to happen more and more frequently - “you haven’t spoken to Tom in a while. Send him a message here.” Sigh.


I can’t believe you didn’t tell me you were considering the PGCE. Your mum said you wanted to get in touch now I’d started at school, but hadn’t found the time. I wish I’d just taken ten minutes out to call you instead of always resorting to a quick text and frantic Facebook message every couple of weeks.


Your enthusiasm would have been infectious. You are one of the only people I can think of who could ever make geography interesting! I loved your approach to your work, your casual carelessness during the day which meant you then had to stay up all night to work. You thought no one would figure you out until you moved in with an insomniac! I loved getting in late from Judo/a night out and seeing your light on at the top of the house as I came up the driveway. Late night chats are always the best, and you were one of the most interesting people to talk to. I’ve never had anyone ask me ‘why’ so much, and these conversations have come back to haunt me a little bit lately. Why am I going into teaching? How do I know it’s the right thing? How do I know I’m with the right guy? Why do I believe in God? I don’t know. We had all these clever conversations about fate and life purpose and actually what it comes down is just a gut feeling, I suppose. Makes for interesting thinking, but I need to go.

Talk later matey x

No comments:

Post a Comment