Wednesday 23 December 2009

Blogging/Bragging: same thing...

So, given that blogging is (let's be honest) a pretty egotistical thing to do, I thought I'd brag a little because I've just had an awesome Sunday. My horse and I have qualified for the showjumping Winter League Finals, which means a weekend away in Wales over April. I am SO excited.

We rode for 3 hours on Sunday, jumping the course about 8 times - I was [still am] really proud of Sion. He worked incredibly hard, but then he loves his jumping so the excitement kept him going through all the waiting around and the cold. He did get so bored waiting for his turn at one point though that he decided to roll - one minute we were walking and the next I was standing in the sand with him lying on the floor beneath me! Thought he'd fainted at first and was all set to panic, but he was just playing. Got back up, snorted, shook the sand off himself and continued walking like nothing had happened. Made me laugh, but my poor saddle!

We're going to be busy over the next few weeks, preparing for the competition. We haven't competed for two years, ever since Sion nearly died and couldn't be ridden for six months whilst we waited to see if he'd recover (hardest time of my life). By the time the all-clear arrived, my speedy hunter had turned into a barely-walking skeleton, but just having him alive was more important than anything else and I let him take it easy for a year. He's back in shape now - I'm the unfit one! I discovered on Sunday night once the adrenaline had worn off that I've pulled a muscle/trapped a nerve/done something painful to my shoulder, which has resulted in frequent pins & needles and an inability to use my left arm/hand. I've taken enough Ibuprofen to knock out a small donkey, but the pain is still there. Today was even worse, reaching "come within a 1m radious of my left arm and I will jab you in the eye using my good arm and a pointy stick" proportions (this didn't make me too popular during today's excursion to a crowded shopping centre).

On the plus side, my Christmas shopping is now done, wrapped and under the tree! So I can finally curl up with a glass of Bailey's and some chocs and just look forward to Christmas, which I love and start getting excited about in November. Christmas songs in October drive me mad purely because I can't bear two months of waiting impatiently. I'm up north for Christmas with my family, and the snow is just mega here. I lurrrrve snow. And people up north can deal with snow, they're used to it - none of this abandon your car malarky, they just drive on through it.* Last time we were stuck in a queue because of snow, couple of years ago, we got out and built a huge snowman at the side of the road with the guys from the car behind us.

Christmas really is one of my favourite points of the year, and not just because of snow: the holiday just never disappoints. I love everything about it - spending time with my family (very rare since I moved down south, and I miss their craziness); copious amounts of Bailey's and mulled wine; ample shopping (and a legit. excuse to do so); and this chilled, slightly smug feeling that accompanies having no [immediate] work to do. Love it.

Off to raid the tree for more chocolates now.


*Before the hate mail begins, I should point out I'm not really taking the mickey out of the various situations across the country where the snow is having devastating effects. I know that in some areas people have been really badly affected by it, and I genuinely feel sorry for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment