Friday 26 February 2010

Well, McDonald's are always recruiting...

Wow, can't believe it's been over a month since I actually published anything on here.
Sometimes I forget that drafts aren't visible so I think I've done more than I have, but no - my poor blog looks extremely neglected lately.

So much has happened it's ridiculous. There have been some awesome moments in the past month, which I will get round to blogging about properly because frankly, the events of my friend's hen night deserve their own blog. Blindfolded 4x4 driving needs the glory of a full post, not a short paragraph at the start of what is ultimately going to be a big moan.

Yes, my first post for ages is a whinge. There's a surprise!

I'm scared, bluntly.

I loved the course when I started it. Now I'm counting down the days until I finish.
Funny what a marked difference being in the 'right' school can make.


The days left at school are also, at the moment, days until I am officially unemployed and can't hide under the umbrella of 'student' anymore.

I've had two interviews so far.
The first, my lesson didn't go too well (class were absolutely MUTE) but my interview went very well. The panel took nearly two hours to deliberate and finally decided that I interviewed "too well", gave "some of the best answers we've ever heard" and consequently am "too textbook, too based in theory". You know what? a) I'm an English student. Reading textbooks and theory is what I enjoy. b) your excuse smacks of "we just didn't like you" or "you can't teach". Which is fair enough, but have the guts to say it.

The second interview I enjoyed, but ultimately they had four internal candidates (four!) and, as my mentor has been warning me for ages, "unless you just want a practice interview, applying to a school with an internal candidate is a waste of time". Or maybe it was just another case of "we don't like you" or "you can't teach".


I'm also confused.I don't want any of the jobs I've applied for so far - they're practice for the job I do want. But at the same time, knowing that they don't want me either is a major concern. Feedback suggests nothing I can improve on - just 'we just preferred him' or 'well we already knew she was good as she's been here a year'.

I'm starting to doubt my ability as a teacher; whether I'm worth employing.
Maybe I should apply for jobs outside of teaching, just in case. Working with horses, maybe. Or admin.




Maybe I should stick with my dream as a child and run away to join the circus. How hard can it be?




But there are still two teaching jobs advertised at the moment, both of which are still open so I don't know whether I'll have an interview at either yet. One I know I don't want, one I desperately do.
What I need to do is find some way of persuading them that I am worth employing...



Ha. I wish.



Now this, I could do...

2 comments:

  1. Knock backs are hard - of course they are but it doesn't mean you're a bad teacher. I'm not sure how interviewing "too well" constitutes a reason not to hire you but hell, people are strange.

    Here's some advice:

    1)Man-up. You're a good teacher doubting your ability will make you jack it in and get you nowhere. And it would be a loss to the profession.

    2) Learn, do, repeat. Learn from these experiences - they will make you better!

    3) The right school will come up. If you keep looking you will find it. Trust me.

    4) If you decide to leave teaching you will be bored, for every day you will sit in an office and stare at a clock. Whereas you could be fighting against an inappropriate discussion about sex toys with Year 8.

    5) When going to interview remember these simple words, handed to me by a mentor in my placement school "Time to rock out with your cock out". Obviously figuratively. You defo won't get a job if you do. In your particular case, refer to point 4.

    Hope this helps young padawan.

    Duke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wise One. I will take it all on board!
    The school I withdrew from yesterday in order to attend the other interview didn't appoint so there's a possibility of a third interview, wahey. Is it weird to enjoy interviews?

    I'm definitely not considering giving up teaching - no way - was just toying with idea of having a job for income reasons whilst I search for a teaching post! But that couldn't happen until June anyway and anything can happen between now and then.

    The feedback was rubbish - they must have either been driving at "we think you're fake" or she reckoned she couldn't mold me into her ideal NQT. What grated on me the most was the next logical step - so where do I go from here? Get questions wrong, deliberately? Whatever, I'm taking it as complimentary and trying to remember what I actually said during the interview so I can use it all again.

    And am now going to kick back with some wine and enjoy the weekend. Hope you do the same!x

    ReplyDelete