Friday 26 February 2010

Posts Are Like Buses...

Another post?
Yep, well, I thought I'd better do something about the fact that my dashboard is a list of drafts.



Today has been weird. I think I have offended everyone I could possibly have offended, apart from the assistant head at the school which rejected me who phoned about half an hour ago to tell me to apply if they had any future vacancies. Who I probably did offend, because I think I responded with "I'll think about it" or something similarly noncommittal, even though I was exceptionally grateful that he'd called but just too tired to inject enthusiasm into my voice or construct coherent/relevant sentences.

You know how sometimes you feel too tired to sleep? Sounds paradoxical, but if it's ever happened to you then you'll know exactly what I mean.
Well, this is my current state. It's incredibly irritating but has its useful moments. For example, I have a fabulous friend who I adore but don't see very much - a side effect of her disappearing off on a gap year to Japan. Four years ago. (What is with people emigrating all of a sudden? I can think of at least 5 people who've recently decided to abandon England.)
Japan and England have enough of a time difference that we very rarelyremember to be online at the same time but the other night we managed it.

"I've got a boyfriend!" she announces proudly. I've known V five years and in that time she has never once dated. Not even a single, innocuous coffee on a Saturday morning. Now she's gushing about Mr. Perfect and her voice seems to have gone up several octaves.

Gushing in someone as matter-of-fact as V is never good. It's too out of character.

"V?" I manage to squeeze into the millisecond pause as she inhales. "He sounds too good to be true. He's not married or something, is he?"

Okay. The silence is a little unnerving. I was joking.

"Yes." She sighs.
"Divorced, right? Where does he live?"

There's that pause again.

"He lives with his wife."

Flipping heck. What do I say to that? The obvious. "Kids?"

"Two."

My turn to sigh. I don't want to judge or preach. But neither do I want to change the topic - partly because it's great to hear her happy but also because I don't want her to be involved in something messy, especially not with children involved. We settle for an awkward conversation about how he really does plan to ask for a divorce and move out soon.

I was going to say I smell a rat but the stench is more like a whole plague of them. Is that really cynical?
If he turns out to be a rat I shall fly over there and break his legs. Except that whilst my judo is passable, he's in Japan and therefore is probably some kind of unstoppable fighting machine.



I love judo. I'm going off on a tangent but V won't mind as that's how we met anyway and she completely shares the passion. She was my randori (fighting) partner for most of her last year, although we used to get told off for messing about, pretending to do kung fu moves and throwing in the relevant sound effects. The sound effects for our groundwork fights were better though - the real competition was who could make the spectators blush first.
The problem with no longer being a real student is that I have to join an adult club - which means less frivolity and generally involves being surrounded by ... hmmm, how to be diplomatic... men of a certain age and weight. Being 5'3'' and 55kg, I usually get paired with the man of the lowest grade on the grounds that it'll be a fairer fight. Pfft. The relief of finally having someone they can actually pick up and throw around turns girls into large stress-balls for said lower grades. I don't blame them though. Throwing people around is a great feeling.
Maybe I should look up some local clubs...

No comments:

Post a Comment