Thursday 22 July 2010

Doch Ihre Worte Frisst Der Wind...

Sometimes, there's just a point where you think 'enough, now'.

Sometimes nothing you can say will be interpreted the way you mean it and that's just part of the fact that language is affected by the emotions and intentions of listener as well as speaker. Certain words don't have fixed meanings, no matter how hard we try to pin them down. How can they? Language is fluid. Even to the same person, words will change their meanings frequently. How often is 'frequent'? Daily? Weekly? It thoroughly depends on context and the person. The refusal of our literature to allow its contents and images be defined through one agreed meaning is incredible. It's one of the most wonderful and exasperating things about our language. It's why Shakespeare never gets old and why some works are beautiful even on their twentieth reading. And why you can read the same text twenty plus times and still feel you are reading it for the first time.

This space is having a hiatus. I have my own domain which I use to host a few friends' blogs - I have my own blog established there too. It's less of a trivial events calendar and where I generally focus my writing. This blog is quite often neglected in favour of that one so it makes sense to condense things and write purely on one channel. I'm not closing this blog - I may come back to it if I ever want somewhere a bit more whimsical to post. But at this point there's really nothing to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment